FIBA Asia Championship: India beat Kazakhstan in a thriller
New Delhi: Indian eves registered their first-ever Level 1 victory at the FIBA Asia Championship for Women when they secured a nail-biting win over Kazakhstan in Bangkok on Thursday.
In a pulsating match that went into overtime, India staved off a stiff challenge from Kazakh girls before prevailing over 65-62 in their final preliminary round fixture.
India looked strong from the start, taking an 11 point lead at half time. However, Kazakhstan fought back in the third quarter tying the game at 45 points.
The fourth quarter saw India take a two point lead on Anitha Pauldurai`s jumper with 8 seconds on the clock but they fouled Kazakhstan who proceeded to make both their free throws to tie the game at 55 points at the end of regulation time.
Anitha`s 18 points and an equally good performance by Jeena Skaria (14) saw India through.
Oxana Ivanova (16), Anastassiya Alishakaite (14) and Anna Vinokurova (14) were the top-scorers for Kazakhstan.
India will take on Indonesia in the relegation match on November 2.
India had lost their earlier four matches against Chinese Taipei 57-85, Korea (62-109), China (36-97) and Japan (40-81).
India are currently placed 5th in Level 1 with 6 points.
The competition is the qualifying tournament for FIBA Asia at the 2014 FIBA World Championship for Women in Turkey.
Preliminary Round result (India):
India (Anitha Pauldurai 18, Jeena Skaria 14) beat Kazakhstan (Oxana Ivanova 16, Anastassiya Alishauskaite 14, Anna Vinokurova 14) 65-62 (16-14, 19-10, 10-21, 10-10, OT: 10-7).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in