Filipino boxer Pacquiao hails WBO decision
Manila: Filipino boxing icon Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao Thursday expressed his gratitude to the World Boxing Organization (WBO) after its five-man panel unanimously declared that he defeated American Timothy Bradley.
Local media abs-cbnnews.com quoted Pacquiao as saying that the decision would restore the trust of fans in boxing.
The five-man panel convened by the WBO reviewed and re-scored the controversial fight in favour of Pacquiao, reports said.
The Filipino boxer said he hopes that the WBO`s findings would serve as a wake-up call to everyone in boxing.
Bradley stripped Pacquiao of his WBO welterweight title via a split decision June 9. The controversial decision disgusted many boxing fans and was ridiculed by boxing media.
RingTV, however, said the WBO can no longer reverse the decision of the judges who scored the June 9 fight.
The controversial fight is now under investigation by the Attorney General of Nevada upon the request of fight promoter Bob Arum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed