First national surfing competition concludes
Thiruvanathapuram: Surfers from Tamil Nadu stole the limelight at India`s first national surfing and stand up paddle (SUP) competition, which concluded at Kovalam beach here.
Participants from the state finished on the podium in a number of categories at the finals of the competitions held over three days. Surfers from Karnataka and Kerala were among the winners. More than 100 athletes from around the country and abroad took part in the competition.
The fine weather and the waves provided another day of ideal surfing conditions and yesterday`s turnout, as expected, was big.
Winners in various categories were presented trophies, cash awards and certificates.
Spice Coast Open is India`s first official national competitive event for the sport. It is being organised by the Surfing Federation of India (SFI), a body recognised by the International Surfing Association (ISA), with the support of the state Department of Tourism.
The competition was inaugurated in Kovalam by former South African cricketer and surfing enthusiast Jonty Rhodes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly