First national surfing competition concludes
Thiruvanathapuram: Surfers from Tamil Nadu stole the limelight at India`s first national surfing and stand up paddle (SUP) competition, which concluded at Kovalam beach here.
Participants from the state finished on the podium in a number of categories at the finals of the competitions held over three days. Surfers from Karnataka and Kerala were among the winners. More than 100 athletes from around the country and abroad took part in the competition.
The fine weather and the waves provided another day of ideal surfing conditions and yesterday`s turnout, as expected, was big.
Winners in various categories were presented trophies, cash awards and certificates.
Spice Coast Open is India`s first official national competitive event for the sport. It is being organised by the Surfing Federation of India (SFI), a body recognised by the International Surfing Association (ISA), with the support of the state Department of Tourism.
The competition was inaugurated in Kovalam by former South African cricketer and surfing enthusiast Jonty Rhodes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why