First national surfing competition concludes
Thiruvanathapuram: Surfers from Tamil Nadu stole the limelight at India`s first national surfing and stand up paddle (SUP) competition, which concluded at Kovalam beach here.
Participants from the state finished on the podium in a number of categories at the finals of the competitions held over three days. Surfers from Karnataka and Kerala were among the winners. More than 100 athletes from around the country and abroad took part in the competition.
The fine weather and the waves provided another day of ideal surfing conditions and yesterday`s turnout, as expected, was big.
Winners in various categories were presented trophies, cash awards and certificates.
Spice Coast Open is India`s first official national competitive event for the sport. It is being organised by the Surfing Federation of India (SFI), a body recognised by the International Surfing Association (ISA), with the support of the state Department of Tourism.
The competition was inaugurated in Kovalam by former South African cricketer and surfing enthusiast Jonty Rhodes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living