First national surfing competition concludes
Thiruvanathapuram: Surfers from Tamil Nadu stole the limelight at India`s first national surfing and stand up paddle (SUP) competition, which concluded at Kovalam beach here.
Participants from the state finished on the podium in a number of categories at the finals of the competitions held over three days. Surfers from Karnataka and Kerala were among the winners. More than 100 athletes from around the country and abroad took part in the competition.
The fine weather and the waves provided another day of ideal surfing conditions and yesterday`s turnout, as expected, was big.
Winners in various categories were presented trophies, cash awards and certificates.
Spice Coast Open is India`s first official national competitive event for the sport. It is being organised by the Surfing Federation of India (SFI), a body recognised by the International Surfing Association (ISA), with the support of the state Department of Tourism.
The competition was inaugurated in Kovalam by former South African cricketer and surfing enthusiast Jonty Rhodes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand