New Delhi: Let's look at the five interesting facts from Jamaican Usain Bolt's sprint double after winning the men's 200m final, ahead of his Amrican rival Justin Gatlin, in a strong field in 2015 Beijing World Athletics Championships.
1. The fastest man on the planet, Usain Bolt, on Friday destroyed the men's 200m field to complete his world sprint double and in the process nipped Justin Gatlin's challenge in the bud. On Sunday, he won the 100m title again beating the American.
2. With the fastest times in the heats, American Justin Gatlin started as the favourite with pundits predicting a tight race. But the Jamaican ran the second half after the bend with his indomitable, explosive pace to reduce the final to a one-sided affair.
3. Bolt's timing of 19.55sec is also world's leading time for the season. Only in the semi-final yesterday, the 29-year-old managed his season's best 19.95 to qualify from the second lot, after Gatlin won the first semis.
4. Since settling with two silver medals in the 2007 Osaka in 200m and 4x100m relay events, Bolt has now won 10 gold medals in the World Athletics Championships – in 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay.
5. By defending both the 100m and 200m events for the fourth successive time, Bolt has arguably become the greatest athlete of all-time. He is also the two-time defending Olympic champion in these events.