Former athletes protest over deletion of Joseph`s name
Kochi: Kerala sportspersons on Wednesday came down against the controversial deletion of the name of Tom Joseph, former International spiker from the list of those selected for Arjuna award.
Former Asian Games silver medalist Mercy Kuttan, told reporters here that Kerala athletes and players had always been discriminated. She claimed that she herself was given the Arjuna award rather late.
Former Internationals Kishore Kumar and S A Madhu said it was unfortunate that Tom Joseph`s name had been deleted.
"He deserves the award. In the past, even those not deserving had been selected for the prestigious award," they said.
They also demanded that the criteria of selection to be refined.
Sports Authority of India Director General Jiji Thomson, has already expressed displeasure over the deletion of Joseph`s name from the list agreed upon. The name was deleted in the absence of Thomson.
Joseph`s name was deleted for the ninth consecutive year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know