Former athletes protest over deletion of Joseph`s name
Kochi: Kerala sportspersons on Wednesday came down against the controversial deletion of the name of Tom Joseph, former International spiker from the list of those selected for Arjuna award.
Former Asian Games silver medalist Mercy Kuttan, told reporters here that Kerala athletes and players had always been discriminated. She claimed that she herself was given the Arjuna award rather late.
Former Internationals Kishore Kumar and S A Madhu said it was unfortunate that Tom Joseph`s name had been deleted.
"He deserves the award. In the past, even those not deserving had been selected for the prestigious award," they said.
They also demanded that the criteria of selection to be refined.
Sports Authority of India Director General Jiji Thomson, has already expressed displeasure over the deletion of Joseph`s name from the list agreed upon. The name was deleted in the absence of Thomson.
Joseph`s name was deleted for the ninth consecutive year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls