Glasgow CWG to incorporate best practices of 2010 Delhi Games
London: Organisers of next year`s Glasgow Commonwealth Games are introducing some of the "best practices" of the 2010 New Delhi Games, Senator Hugh Segal, Canada`s Special envoy for CWG renewal, said here.
"Preparations are going on well in Glasgow for the 20th Commonwealth Games scheduled from July 23 to August 3, 2014. We have learnt a lot from things that went very very well in India," Senator Segal said.
"For example, one of the things the Indian Olympic Committee did extremely well was to invite Commonwealth athletes from around the world to spend some time in India, to visit schools, high schools and talk to young people about importance of athletics and physical fitness.
"We know there is going to be similar plans in Glasgow. The organisers have learnt from the Indian experience, so we believe that the Glasgow Games will benefit from the best practices of the CWG that took place in India and we are hopeful that it will give a boost to the Games," he added.
Applauding the way athletes from around the world were treated in India during the Delhi CWG, Segal said, "We believe sports and physical fitness as a base for peace and development and an opportunity, and certainly in India the way athletes from around the world were treated is an indication on how well the government did that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...