Gutta, Ponnappa lose in Korea Open Super Series
Seoul: Commonwealth Games gold medallist pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa on Thursday suffered a straight-game defeat in the third round of the women`s doubles competition to crash out of USD 600,000 Korea Open Super Series badminton tournament.
The world championship bronze medallist combo of Gutta and Ponnappa lost 18-21 12-21 to third seeded Korean pair of Ye Na Jang and So Young Kim in a 40-minute contest.
Ponnappa also suffered a heartbreak at the mixed doubles competition when she along with her partner Tarun Kona lost 10-21 15-21 to seventh seeded German combo of Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels in another 31 minute match.
With these losses, Indian campaign ended at the Korea Open as singles shuttlers had suffered disappointing defeats in the first round itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months