HC orders probe into non-selection of shuttler Prajakta Sawant
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked Sports Authority of India and the Union Government to conduct an inquiry to find out why badminton player Prajakta Sawant was not picked up in the Indian team for international matches.
The court also asked for an inquiry into the selection process of Badminton Association of India (BAI).
The order by division bench of Justices Mohit Shah and M S Sanklecha came on a petition filed by Sawant alleging that BAI`s selection committee, headed by chief national coach Pullela Gopichand, was biased against her.
The HC wanted to know why Sawant was not selected for recent international fixtures in spite of her ranking going up from six to two.
The SAI and the Centre have been asked to complete the probe by November 21 and file a report before the High Court. The next hearing is on November 22.
Sawant, in an earlier petition, had accused Gopichand of mental harassment after she was not selected for National Coaching Camp in Hyderabad. She had also alleged that Gopichand promoted players from his own academy.
The High Court, in March this year, had directed BAI to accept Sawant`s application to participate in the tournaments that were to be held in May and June.
BAI had submitted that Sawant`s performance was not up to the mark.
However, the court had then sought to know BAI`s response to the allegation that only those from Gopichand`s academy were being picked for national sqaud. The court had also asked BAI to file an affidavit about the performance of selected players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog