HIL appoints Steve Catton as Competitions Director
New Delhi: Hockey India League (HIL) has appointed Steve Catton as Competitions Director for the six-team franchise-based event that is slated to be held from January 5 to February 3 next year.
Hockey India Secretary-General and HIL Chairman Narinder Batra said the appointment of Catton is an important step towards ensuring that the tournament turn out to be a quality event.
"We are looking to draw from Steve`s rich experience as the European Hockey League Competitions Director to make Hockey India League a well-conducted event," he said.
"Since Steve will work closely with a number of Indian technical officials, we are sure that Hockey India League will create a rich legacy.”
"He was involved in establishing the English Hockey League back in 1989 and has been European Hockey and Euro Hockey League Competitions Director from 2005-11. With that kind of experience, Steve can ensure HIL`s inaugural year is memorable," Batra added.
Catton said he was very excited about establishing HIL as the definitive league event.
"There is a terrific opportunity for HIL to become the most sought-after hockey event for players, officials and the entire hockey fraternity. I`m a delighted to join the HIL team at this important time and be able to build on the enthusiasm and hard work that has already been done," he said.
Catton is an EHF and FIH Tournament Director, attending many events over recent years in this capacity. He has also been Competitions and Events Manager of the Hockey Association (now England Hockey), Director of Sport and Recreation at Sheffield Hallam University and the Chief Executive of the English Basketball Association.
Most recently, he worked as a part of the hockey technical operations team at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy