Humpy under pressure in World Championship
Tirana (Albania): Grandmaster Koneru Humpy is facing the heat but needs just one good game to be back in hunt in the Women`s World Championship match against defending champion Yifan Hou of China.
After the first four games of a 10-game match, the Indian trails 1.5-2.5 with one loss and three draws and will need to pull her act together in the remaining six games.
It was a bright start that went haywire in the third game that Humpy lost and in the fourth game again she was made to defend for a long time before the draw was achieved.
Yifan, on the other hand, showed that her skills are beyond her age. At 17, the world champion displayed remarkable acumen to come up triumphant in extreme complexities in the third game.
The Chinese has been a picture of confidence and her approach has been simple in this match ? to strike whenever the opportunity presented itself.
o sum up the match thus far, Humpy was on the offensive but could not get any decisive foray in the first two games and her over-ambitious play in the third game did not come good.
Even as there are six games to come, Humpy will be hoping for an early revival in her fortunes to get a chance to have a go at the title.
If the results are tied after 10 games, shorter duration games will be played to determine the winner in the 2,00,000 Euro championship.
For Humpy there is an added bonus as it will be a rare double for India with Anand already world champion since 2007.
From the look of it, there is enough optimism in Humpy`s camp for the fifth game after the second rest day. It remains to be seen though how far it would translate in the games to come.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani