I am quite comfortable in 51-kg division: Mary Kom
New Delhi: Indian women boxing`s best medal hope in the London Olympics, MC Mary Kom, says she is now quite "comfortable" competing in the 51-kg category after training for more than a year.
Mary Kom along with L Sarita Devi will be spearheading the 10-member Indian team`s challenge in the 2012 ASBC Asian Confederation Women`s Boxing Championships in Ulanbator, Mongalia, from March 16 to 26.
"I have been training in the 51 kg weight division for more than a year and I am quite comfortable now," Mary Kom said ahead of the team`s departure.
The boxers are leaving on Thursday morning and accompanying them would be four coaches, one team doctor, a physiotherapist and a team manager.
"This event will provide me a good opportunity to access my game before the big event-the World Championships and the Olympics," Mary Kom added.
Sarita Devi, who has won medals in every edition of the Asian Championships since its inception in 2001, said the target was to earn his fifth straight gold.
"My target is to get that fifth gold, but the competition is going to be quite tough this time around with boxers trying to fit into the Olympic weight division.”
"I am well prepared and confident of a good performance and will try my level best to achieve the desired objective," said the 30-year-old who recently changed to 60-kg category.
Arafura Games silver medallist Meena Rani (64kg), Asia Cup bronze medallist Kavita Chahal (+81) are the other two boxer in the squad to have played at the Asian Championships.
Pinki Jangra (48kg), Sonia Lather (54kg), K Mandakini Chanu (57kg), Monica Saun (69kg), Pooja Rani (75kg) and Bhagyabati Kachari (81kg) will be the other pugilists competing in the event.
Chief coach Anoop Kumar was confident of a good showing from the boxers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31