I am quite comfortable in 51-kg division: Mary Kom
New Delhi: Indian women boxing`s best medal hope in the London Olympics, MC Mary Kom, says she is now quite "comfortable" competing in the 51-kg category after training for more than a year.
Mary Kom along with L Sarita Devi will be spearheading the 10-member Indian team`s challenge in the 2012 ASBC Asian Confederation Women`s Boxing Championships in Ulanbator, Mongalia, from March 16 to 26.
"I have been training in the 51 kg weight division for more than a year and I am quite comfortable now," Mary Kom said ahead of the team`s departure.
The boxers are leaving on Thursday morning and accompanying them would be four coaches, one team doctor, a physiotherapist and a team manager.
"This event will provide me a good opportunity to access my game before the big event-the World Championships and the Olympics," Mary Kom added.
Sarita Devi, who has won medals in every edition of the Asian Championships since its inception in 2001, said the target was to earn his fifth straight gold.
"My target is to get that fifth gold, but the competition is going to be quite tough this time around with boxers trying to fit into the Olympic weight division.”
"I am well prepared and confident of a good performance and will try my level best to achieve the desired objective," said the 30-year-old who recently changed to 60-kg category.
Arafura Games silver medallist Meena Rani (64kg), Asia Cup bronze medallist Kavita Chahal (+81) are the other two boxer in the squad to have played at the Asian Championships.
Pinki Jangra (48kg), Sonia Lather (54kg), K Mandakini Chanu (57kg), Monica Saun (69kg), Pooja Rani (75kg) and Bhagyabati Kachari (81kg) will be the other pugilists competing in the event.
Chief coach Anoop Kumar was confident of a good showing from the boxers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy