IBL warns players against going public with grievances
New Delhi: See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil! This is the fiat issued by the Indian Badminton League (IBL) to players taking part in the Aug 14-31 tourney.
Stung by the violent reaction of some players after being allegedly shortchanged at the IBL auction last week, the officials have sent out a stern warning, telling them not to go public with their grievances.
Though officials of the Badminton Association of India (BAI) and several shuttlers denied any knowledge of the warning-letter, sources close to the latter confirmed that they have indeed received the caution.
"The letter states that the players should not badmouth the IBL in the media, they should only talk in complimentary terms," a top source said.
The source confirmed that the letters were sent out in the last couple of days.
The IBL was severely criticised by several players for slashing their base price, particularly those playing doubles.
Denmark`s Mathias Boe had a different grouse. He hit out at the organisers and franchises for leaving him high and dry with no one wanting him.
Jwala Gutta, K.T. Rupesh Kumar, Sanave Thomas and Ashwini Ponnappa of India openly expressed their disappointment with the way the auction was conducted.
The base price of Jwala and Ashwini, who were branded as icon players, was reduced from $50,000 to $25,000 while doubles pair Rupesh and Thomas` base tag was reduced from $15,000 to $5,000.
Rupesh and Thomas even toyed with the idea of pulling out before finally relenting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites