IM Mishra upsets GM Timoshenko to move into joint 2nd
Mumbai: India`s International Master Swayams Mishra shocked GM Timoshenko Georgy of Ukraine to take the joint second position at the conclusion of the penultimate round in the 6th Mumbai Mayor International Chess Tournament at the NSCI Stadium here on Wednesday.
Mishra (ELO 2406), from Odisha, played aggressively against higher ranked rival Timoshenko (ELO 2522). He unsettled his opponent by castling on the 9th move and preferred to keep his king in the centre to activate all his pieces.
Timoshenko resigned in 30 moves, enabling Mishra to lie joint second in the race for the title that would be decided on Thursday.
The top slot was occupied by three players with 8 points. Overnight leader, GM Pantasulaia Levan (ELO 2563) of Georgia, was joined by two others - top seed GM M Mekheil (ELO 2645) of Georgia and 2nd seed GM Amonatav Farrukh (ELO 2616) of Tajikistan.
They were followed by GM Akashayraj KoreKore, Mishra and GM Andriasian Zaven (ELO 2608) of Armenia, who were tied on 7.5 points each.
Kore (ELO 2508) defeated his Indian rival IM Ravichandran Siddharth (ELO 2361) in just 29 moves with black pieces.
There are four Indian players with chances of a Grandmaster Norm if they win the final round on Thursday.
The results: GM Andriasian Zaven 7.5 drew with GM Pantsulaia Levan 7.5, GM Amonatov Farrukh 8 bt GM Babujian Levon 7, GM Mchedlishvili Mikheil 8 bt GM Gagunashvili Merab 6.5, IM Swayams Mishra 7.5 bt GM Timoshenko Georgy 6.5, IM Ravichandran Siddharth 6.5 lost to GM Akshayraj Kore 7.5, GM Vaibhav Suri 6.5 drew with IM Rajesh V A V 7, GM Petrosian Davit G 6 lost to GM Zubar Alexander 7, GM Papin Vasily 7 bt IM Udeshi Aditya 6, IM Sangma Rahul 7 bt GM Abhijit Kunte 6, GM Harutjunyan Gevorg 7 bt GM Ziatdinov Raset 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi