India bags Kabaddi World Cup in both Men’s, Women’s category
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Ludhiana: It was a great day for Indian sports as India clinched the Kabaddi World Cup title, in both men’s and women’s category on Saturday.
Indian eves bagged the title for the third consecutive time, by defeating Malaysia in a one-sided final, while Indian men crushed arch-rivals Pakistan 59-22 in the finals.
The India women`s team overwhelmed Malaysian team by a margin of 72-12 points.
It was a one-sided match in the men’s category and Indian players dominated the game right from the start and maintained an initial lead till 9-0. India bagged a prize money of Rs.2 crore and Pakistan took home Rs.1 crore, while second runners-up Canada bagged Rs.51 Lakh.
In the women’s category, raiders of Indian team Priyanka Devi, Priyanka Pilaniya and Sukhwinder Kaur got 13, 8 and 8 points respectively; stoppers Jatinder Kaur and Anu Rani bagged 11 and 10 points respectively.
Malaysia’s raider Manpreet Kaur scored 4 points whereas stopper Rekha got 2 points.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal handed over the prize money—cheque of Rs 51 lakh—to the winning team, the runners-up took home Rs 31 lakh.
The third position holder Danish women Kabbadi team bagged prize money of Rs 21 lakh.
With PTI/IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan fails to seal F-16 fighter jets deal with US, says report
- Sensational: New Zealand teenager Glenn Phillips hits 6 sixes in an over
- 'A Wednesday' veterans Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah spar over Kashmiri Pandits - Details inside
- National Anthem disrespect: Farooq Abdullah offers apology, says 'sorry, if I offended anyone'
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts