India finish fifth at Men`s Asian Champions hockey tourney
New Delhi: Akashdeep Singh scored three goals as India thrashed Oman 6-1 to finish fifth in the third Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament at Kakamigahara, Japan on Sunday.
In a fifth-sixth place match, India dominated from the word go, scoring three goals in each half.
Kothajit Singh converted a penalty corner in the sixth minute of the match to give India an early advantage. Five minutes later, Gurjinder Singh doubled the team`s lead by converting another penalty corner.
In the 24th minute, Akashdeep Singh gently tapped in Mandeep`s pass from a difficult angle to place India in a comfortable position at half time.
Akashdeep then made it 4-0, scoring from close range after pouncing on a loose ball in the 40th minute.
Oman, however, pulled one back in the 58th minute from a penalty corner through Mohammad Hoobais Al Shar, whose low drag-flick beat Indian goalkeeper Harjot Singh.
In the 66th minute, Malak Singh scored with a fierce hit from top of the circle before Akashdeep scored his third goal of the day just two minutes minutes from the hooter to hand India comprehensive victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net for Chhattisgarh Board CGBSE 10th X Class High School (HS) Exam Results 2016
- #CongressPlanningRiots is trending on Twitter. Here's why
- UMANG: This pan-India app will give you access to all government services
- CPI-M, BJP can't beat TMC in West Bengal, no post-poll alliance with Congress: Mamata Banerjee