India going through rebuilding phase, says Sandeep Singh
New Delhi: India`s ace drag flicker Sandeep Singh Friday said the eight-time Olympic champions are going through a rebuilding phase and it would be unfair to expect a medal in the 2012 London Games.
"No one can win a medal in a day. It took ight years for the team to evolve. We have struggled a lot. Our team is going through a rebuilding process," said Sandeep at the India Today Conclave here.
The Indian hockey team failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Games for the first time in 80 years in the history of the Games.
Sandeep, who was the star of the qualifiers held in Delhi last month scoring 16 goals, said the team would do its best to win a medal but their main target would be to beat top teams like the Netherlands, Australia and Germany.
"We will try to win a medal but we want to beat the top four teams and bring the glory back to Indian hockey, that`s our main target."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'