India going through rebuilding phase, says Sandeep Singh
New Delhi: India`s ace drag flicker Sandeep Singh Friday said the eight-time Olympic champions are going through a rebuilding phase and it would be unfair to expect a medal in the 2012 London Games.
"No one can win a medal in a day. It took ight years for the team to evolve. We have struggled a lot. Our team is going through a rebuilding process," said Sandeep at the India Today Conclave here.
The Indian hockey team failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Games for the first time in 80 years in the history of the Games.
Sandeep, who was the star of the qualifiers held in Delhi last month scoring 16 goals, said the team would do its best to win a medal but their main target would be to beat top teams like the Netherlands, Australia and Germany.
"We will try to win a medal but we want to beat the top four teams and bring the glory back to Indian hockey, that`s our main target."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video