India lose to South Africa 3-4 in hockey
La Albericia: The Indian hockey team went down fighting to South Africa in its last friendly in the run-up to the Tri-Nation tournament, here Wednesday.
India lost the keenly-fought encounter 3-4.
The scorers for India were Danish Mujtaba, Sandeep Singh and SK Uthappa while Clinton Panther, Thoton McDade, Llyod Norris-Jones and Justin Reid Ross were on target for South Africa.
Panther put South Africa ahead in the ninth minute, scoring a field goal.
McDade scored another for his team in the 17th minute. India reduced the margin four minutes later with a field goal scored by forward Mujtaba.
Going into the second half India created good moves penetrating in the circle and levelled 2-2 in the 47th minute through a penalty corner converted by Sandeep.
However, three minutes later, Norris-Jones put South Africa ahead.
India fought back strongly and equalised seven minutes later through a field goal by Uthappa.
South Africa scored the winning goal in the 61st minute through a penalty corner by Justin Reid.
In the run-up to the Tri-Nation, India drew Spain 3-3, before losing the second test 1-2, and beat South Africa 6-5 in the first friendly. The four matches helped the Indian players adjust to the blue turf.
India will play against Great Britain on Saturday in the inaugural match of Tri-Nation series in Santander, Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea