India men lost to Belgium in Europe tour
New Delhi: The Indian senior men`s hockey fought hard before going down 1-2 to Belgium to succumb to their first defeat in the ongoing European tour at Naarden in The Netherlands.
India had earlier hammered Leiden Hockey Club (Dutch National Club) 7-0 in the first build-up game at Oegstgeest, before playing out a 3-3 draw against HGC Hockey Club (Dutch National Club) in their next game of the tour, which has been organised as preparations for the FIH Men`s World Cup 2014 to be held at The Hague, Netherlands from May 31 to June 15.
In their match against Belgium late last night, the Indians started brightly but it was Belgium who managed to open the scorecard in the 17th minute when Tom Boon scored from a penalty corner. Belgium then managed to hold on to the lead to go into the breather with their nose slight ahead.
In the second half, India did not allow the Belgians to convert any of the chances that came their way with some stout defending.India finally managed to draw parity in the 58th minute when vice-captain Rupinder Pal Singh converted a penalty corner.
But India`s joy was shortlived as Belgium scored in the very next minute, again through Boon (59th) but this time from a field effort. India will now take on The Netherlands on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?