India thrash Malaysia 3-0 to win Sultan of Johor Cup
Johor Bahru: A dominant India triumphed in the 3rd Sultan of Johor Cup with a thumping 3-0 victory over hosts Malaysia in the title clash of the Under-21 hockey tournament here on Sunday.
Amon Mirash Tirkey (22nd), Affan Yusof (52) and Manprret (64th) were the goal-scorers for India who made up for last year`s defeat in the final against Germany.
India were the deserving winners on a day when Malaysia failed to find the spark that had seen them make the final with relative ease.
The visitors created a lot of opportunities and had an early chance in the 5th minute when Satbir Singh took a snap shot but it was padded away by Mohd Hafizuddin Othman.
The initial forays gave India the confidence and they were awarded a penalty corner in the 13th minute but Amit Rohidas`s attempt was charged down by Izad Hakimi Jamaluddin.
In a quick counter-attack, Mohd Syamim Yusof nearly scored after evading three defenders, but he sent his shot wide of the post, much to the relief of keeper Harjot Singh.
India drew first blood in the 22nd minute after a fine run on the left by Kothajit Singh whose cross came off the stick of Faiz Helmi and fell nicely for Tirkey to score.
The Malaysian defenders were loose in their marking and that allowed Affan Yusof to move into the semi circle and his reverse stick hit went inches wide.
India forced three consecutive penalty corners in the 35th minute but the Malaysian defenders held firm. However, they paid a heavy price as Muhammad Azri Hassan was yellow carded and Malaysia had to start the second half a man down.
India forced two penalty corners in the 42nd and 45th minutes and off the second, Rohidas`s drag flick was palmed out by Hafizuddin.
Malaysia got their chance in the 47th minute when they were awarded a penalty corner. But Shahril Saabah was on the bench and a variation was used. Izad Hakimi had a slap shot that was saved by the keeper.
Another penalty corner in the 52nd minute for Malaysia was kept out by India and from a counter attack, Ramandeep Singh outwitted Kavin Karthik for a clear run at goal.
He relayed the ball to Yusof who scored easily to make it 2-0 for India.
India created several chances and finally skipper Manpreet converted their eight penalty corner in the 64th minute to make it 3-0 as India sealed the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report