India win 12 medals, including 4 gold in Asian GP Athletics
Chonburi (Thailand): National record holder Renjith Maheswary won the men`s triple jump event as India bagged 12 medals, including four gold, in the third and final leg of the Asian Grand Prix Athletics on Monday.
Maheswary`s leapt of 16.46m was though below his second leg gold-winning effort of 16.61m at Kanchanapuri. He had won a bronze in the first leg in Bangkok.
Another Indian, Arpinder Singh won the bronze with an effort of 15.85. Arpinder had also won a bronze in the first leg.
In total, India won four gold, five silver and three bronze.
The three other gold came from Rohit Kumar in men`s javelin throw and men`s and women`s 4X400m relay races.
Rohit hurled the spear to a distance of 69.12m while the women`s 4X400m relay team of Debashree Mazumdar, Kartnatapu Sowjanya, Ratandeep Kaur and M R Poovamma won their third yellow metal in the series in 3:38.22. The Indian women`s 4X400m relay team had won gold in both the first two legs in Bangkok and Kanchanapuri.
Their men`s counterparts Jitin Paul, Bibin Mathew, Shake Mortaja and P P Kunhu Muhammed won gold in 3:10.57. The Indian team had won gold in the first leg also. P P Kunhu Muhammed, who had won gold in men`s 400m race in the second leg, had to settle for silver today with a timing of 46.44.
Sajeesh Joseph also settled for silver in men`s 800m race in 1:49.96. He had won a gold in the first leg and a silver in the second. Ghamnada Ram bagged the bronze in 1:50.06.
Three other silver winner Indians were M R Poovamma in 400m race in 53.50, Sinimol Paulose in 800m in 2:03.34 and Mayookha Johny in long jump with a leapt of 6.50.
The women`s 4X100 relay team of Kartnatapu Sowjanya, Debashree Mazumdar, Ratandeep Kaur and Saraswati Sundram won a bronze in 49.06.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal