Indian Badminton League: When Sachin Tendulkar met Lee Chong Wei
Mumbai: World number one Lee Chong Wei after making his debut in the Indian badminton League interacted with legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar on Tuesday night.
However, the top-ranked Malaysian confessed to have never seen a cricket match in his life but added that he wishes to witness the game one day.
"I just spoke to him (Tendulkar) socially. This is the first time I met him. I am very happy because he came to watch my match and hopefully one day I can see a cricket (match). I have never seen a cricket match," Lee told reporters on Tuesday night.
Lee, who joined Mumbai Masters after missing the team`s first two away ties, eased his way past his compatriot Daren Liew in the first men`s singles. He wrapped up his opening match under 35 minutes as he defeated Liew 21-12, 21-16.
The winner of two Olympic silver medals, Lee said he has played against Liew on a lot of occasions and hoped his compatriot would do well in the upcoming Japan open.
"Daren played well last year. He won super series in France Open. This year he lost in World Championship. I hope he can play well in the coming Japan open," the Malaysian said.
Lee paired up with three-time All England Champion Tine Baun for the mixed doubles match and overcame Delhi`s pair of V Diju and Prajakta Sawant 21-18, 15-21, 11-5.
"I just play (doubles) in the local tournaments. Sometimes just play for fun in the training. This is a combination and internationally this is the first time (I have played) in the league.”
"This is the first time I played with Tine Baun. I just reached a few days before. I have just practiced and tried very hard."
Lee`s exponents in both the formats helped his side to register a 4-1 victory over the Delhi Smashers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?