Indian Badminton League: When Sachin Tendulkar met Lee Chong Wei
Mumbai: World number one Lee Chong Wei after making his debut in the Indian badminton League interacted with legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar on Tuesday night.
However, the top-ranked Malaysian confessed to have never seen a cricket match in his life but added that he wishes to witness the game one day.
"I just spoke to him (Tendulkar) socially. This is the first time I met him. I am very happy because he came to watch my match and hopefully one day I can see a cricket (match). I have never seen a cricket match," Lee told reporters on Tuesday night.
Lee, who joined Mumbai Masters after missing the team`s first two away ties, eased his way past his compatriot Daren Liew in the first men`s singles. He wrapped up his opening match under 35 minutes as he defeated Liew 21-12, 21-16.
The winner of two Olympic silver medals, Lee said he has played against Liew on a lot of occasions and hoped his compatriot would do well in the upcoming Japan open.
"Daren played well last year. He won super series in France Open. This year he lost in World Championship. I hope he can play well in the coming Japan open," the Malaysian said.
Lee paired up with three-time All England Champion Tine Baun for the mixed doubles match and overcame Delhi`s pair of V Diju and Prajakta Sawant 21-18, 15-21, 11-5.
"I just play (doubles) in the local tournaments. Sometimes just play for fun in the training. This is a combination and internationally this is the first time (I have played) in the league.”
"This is the first time I played with Tine Baun. I just reached a few days before. I have just practiced and tried very hard."
Lee`s exponents in both the formats helped his side to register a 4-1 victory over the Delhi Smashers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part VI
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round