Indian boxers land in Kiev for World Junior C`ships
New Delhi: The Indian junior boxing team has reached Kiev, Ukraine for the AIBA World Championships after a 20-day training stint in Cyprus with Ankush Dahiya (46kg) and Puskar Singh (54kg) set to open the country`s campaign in the mega-event.
An 18 member team consisting of 15 boxers and three coaches engaged in 20 day long training programme at Cyprus. Out of the 18, 10 (including 9 short-listed boxers and a coach) directly progressed to Kiev, Ukraine for the Championships starting today.
The AIBA World Junior Championships welcomes international boxers in 13 weight categories to compete against the best in their division.
The AIBA World Junior Championships, held every two years, goes back to 2001 with its debut in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Formerly called the AIBA Cadet World Championships, the AIBA World Junior Championships is open to boxers aged 15 and 16.
Over the next 10 days 351 boxers from 52 countries will be vying for the coveted title of Junior World Champion in Kiev.
"This is a big test for our boys. We have been working hard at the National Coaching Camps and are ready for this challenge and I am sure we will return with a favourable result," said national coach Mohinder Singh Dhaka.
Former Sub-Junior National Champion Prayag Chauhan (60kg), who bagged the light weight Asian title by winning the gold medal at the Continental Championships, will lead the Indian charge in the event.
Bronze medal winner at Asian Championships, Vishnu Dayanand Chayal (57kg) and Aditya Maan (66kg) will also stake a claim for a podium finish at the World Championship.
Gaurav Solanki (48kg) and Ashish Kumar (63kg) will also be ones to look out for in their respective weight division.
The first day of competition will see Ankush locking horns with Sergey Getevonyan from Armenia while Puskar will take on Hungarian boxer Krisztofer Berki.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow