Indian women bag bronze medal in Asian Archery championship
Kolkata: On a day when the top seeded men`s recurve archers flopped, India settled for two bronze medals in the women`s recurve and compound sections at the ongoing Asian Archery Championships in Tehran on Friday.
Indian trio of Deepika Kumari, Chekrovolu Swuro and Laishram Bombayla Devi after losing to their Japanese counterparts in the semis beat the Chinese 190-175 to settle for a bronze medal.
Japan eventually won the women`s recurve gold.
In the women`s compound section, India lost to Korea in semis.
Pitted against Iran in the bronze play-off, the Indian team of Jhano Hansdah, Manjudha Soy and Jyothi V Surekha won the bronze with a 208-203 scoreline.
The compound mixed pair of Jignas Chittiboma and Manjudha had a chance for a bronze medal but they lost to the Thai duo to finish fourth.
The fancied men`s team of Rahul Banerjee, Jayanta Talukdar and Tarundeep Rai after getting a bye in round one, faltered against the Indonesians in the quarters for a disappointing exit from the team event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what