Indians experience mixed day
New Delhi: World Under-12 champion Sayantan Das started his campaign on a winning note as Indians put up a mixed performance on the opening day of Ravana International Open Chess Tournament in Colombo today.
FM Das beat local contender Shanaka Munasinghe, while
compatriot IM Saptarshi Roy overcame another local S D
Ranasinghe and woman GM Soumya Swaminathan defeated Egodage
Keshan, also of Sri Lanka, in their respective matches.
The tournament, which began today, is the first-ever
international open chess tournament in the island country, a
Besides, IM D K Sharma and FM P Maheswaran were the other
Indians who won their opening matches.
Meanwhile, Kushagra Sharma lost to local competitor G C
Anuruddha, while woman CM Ivana Maria Furtado failed to
overcome GM Murshed Niaz of Bangladesh.
M Vivek went down to German Koch Markus in his opening
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song