Indians experience mixed day
New Delhi: World Under-12 champion Sayantan Das started his campaign on a winning note as Indians put up a mixed performance on the opening day of Ravana International Open Chess Tournament in Colombo today.
FM Das beat local contender Shanaka Munasinghe, while
compatriot IM Saptarshi Roy overcame another local S D
Ranasinghe and woman GM Soumya Swaminathan defeated Egodage
Keshan, also of Sri Lanka, in their respective matches.
The tournament, which began today, is the first-ever
international open chess tournament in the island country, a
Besides, IM D K Sharma and FM P Maheswaran were the other
Indians who won their opening matches.
Meanwhile, Kushagra Sharma lost to local competitor G C
Anuruddha, while woman CM Ivana Maria Furtado failed to
overcome GM Murshed Niaz of Bangladesh.
M Vivek went down to German Koch Markus in his opening
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16