Indians experience mixed day
New Delhi: World Under-12 champion Sayantan Das started his campaign on a winning note as Indians put up a mixed performance on the opening day of Ravana International Open Chess Tournament in Colombo today.
FM Das beat local contender Shanaka Munasinghe, while
compatriot IM Saptarshi Roy overcame another local S D
Ranasinghe and woman GM Soumya Swaminathan defeated Egodage
Keshan, also of Sri Lanka, in their respective matches.
The tournament, which began today, is the first-ever
international open chess tournament in the island country, a
Besides, IM D K Sharma and FM P Maheswaran were the other
Indians who won their opening matches.
Meanwhile, Kushagra Sharma lost to local competitor G C
Anuruddha, while woman CM Ivana Maria Furtado failed to
overcome GM Murshed Niaz of Bangladesh.
M Vivek went down to German Koch Markus in his opening
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill