Indians off to good start in singles event
New Delhi: Indians got off to a good start with all the big names clearing the first round hurdle in the singles event at the 19th Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships here on Thursday.
In the men`s singles, Jubin Kumar, Achantha Sharath Kamal, Soumyajit Ghosh and Anthony Amalraj won their respective opening round matches, while Mouma Das, K Shamini, Madhurika and Neha Aggarwal have advanced to the second round in the women`s singles category.
Jubin inflicted an upset defeat over Liang Ma of Singapore 4-3.
Started off brilliantly against a much higher ranked opponent, Jubin grabbed the first game comfortably 11-7.
Going onto the sixth with a 3-2 lead, Jubin displayed great back hand defense to surge ahead 7-4.
However, Ma raised his game and forced the Indian to get away from the table and commit mistakes. And Eventually took the game 13-11.
In the decider, Ma looked a bit jaded and hit wayward shots to lose the match 6-11, even as the 27-year-old Indian held on to his nerves in the final moments to pull off a great victory.
Earlier, teenager Sourav Saha gave a scare to Singapore`s Feng Chen before going down 3-4.
World No. 93, Saha failed to handle the pressure against his superior opponent despite being 3-1 up in his first round match. An experienced Chen made a strong comeback to turn the tide in his favour.
Indian pair of Mouma Das and Soumyajit Ghosh entered the semifinals of the mixed doubles event and will take on Singapore`s Zi Yang and Mengyu Yu later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling