Indians off to good start in singles event
New Delhi: Indians got off to a good start with all the big names clearing the first round hurdle in the singles event at the 19th Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships here on Thursday.
In the men`s singles, Jubin Kumar, Achantha Sharath Kamal, Soumyajit Ghosh and Anthony Amalraj won their respective opening round matches, while Mouma Das, K Shamini, Madhurika and Neha Aggarwal have advanced to the second round in the women`s singles category.
Jubin inflicted an upset defeat over Liang Ma of Singapore 4-3.
Started off brilliantly against a much higher ranked opponent, Jubin grabbed the first game comfortably 11-7.
Going onto the sixth with a 3-2 lead, Jubin displayed great back hand defense to surge ahead 7-4.
However, Ma raised his game and forced the Indian to get away from the table and commit mistakes. And Eventually took the game 13-11.
In the decider, Ma looked a bit jaded and hit wayward shots to lose the match 6-11, even as the 27-year-old Indian held on to his nerves in the final moments to pull off a great victory.
Earlier, teenager Sourav Saha gave a scare to Singapore`s Feng Chen before going down 3-4.
World No. 93, Saha failed to handle the pressure against his superior opponent despite being 3-1 up in his first round match. An experienced Chen made a strong comeback to turn the tide in his favour.
Indian pair of Mouma Das and Soumyajit Ghosh entered the semifinals of the mixed doubles event and will take on Singapore`s Zi Yang and Mengyu Yu later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark