IOC could survive cancelled Games: Jacques Rogge
Buenos Aires: The finances of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) are healthy enough for the organisation to be able to afford the cancellation for whatever reason of an Olympic Games, outgoing president Jacques Rogge said on Sunday.
The 71-year-old Belgian -- who steps down on Tuesday after a largely successful 12 year reign -- told the IOC members assembled in Buenos Aires the organisation`s financial reserves had grown almost ninefold since he succeeded Juan Antonio Samaranch in 2001.
"The IOC would not be able to support sport and sports structures without major financial solidity," he said.
"Since December 31, 2001, the Olympic Foundation, our reserve, has seen its assets grow from USD 105 million to USD 901 million as of December 31, 2012.
"This reserve, linked with a Games cancellation insurance policy, assures the continued functioning of the IOC in the event of a major Games crisis.
"We have reached a new agreement with the USOC that replaces the old one signed in 1995. The new agreement was unanimously approved by the Executive Board and is a win-win situation for both parties.
"This financial solidity is due to the success of sponsorship revenue and television rights."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination