Iran win third Asian basketball title
Manila: Iran proved to be too strong for hosts Philippines as the West Asian giants won the 27th Asian Basketball Championship 85-71 for their third continental title in six years.
Hamed Haddadi, who led the All Star team of the tournament, led Iran with 29 points and 16 rebounds on Sunday. He also earned the Most Valuable Player award.
Samad Nikkhah Bahrami finished with 19 points and seven assists. Mahdi Kamrany and Oshin Sahakian combined for 27 points. Sahakian also added 12 rebounds.
Philippines played the match missing their injured big man Marcus Douthit. Jayson William led the hosts with 18. But he and Alapag were the only two Philippine players who scored in double digits. Alapag took 13.
The runners-up finish is still Philippines` best result in the tournament in 28 years since they won the title in 1985.
With the silver medal, the Philippines nabbed one of the three slots for next year`s FIBA World Cup in Spain.
The other two berths went to winners Iran and South Korea, who beat Chinese Taipei for third place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why