It will be a tall order for Sandeep to make WC cut: Sardar
New Delhi: Sardar Singh and Sandeep Singh are best of friends on and off the field but the current India captain sounded realistic as he said that it will be a tall order for the out-of-favour dragflicker to make it to the World Cup-bound squad.
Sardar said it was heartening to witness healthy competition for places in the Indian hockey team at present, which means no player is a sure-shot pick for the World Cup to be held at The Hague, Netherlands from May 31 to June 15.
"It is good to see tough fight for spots in the team. So no player, how experienced he is, can be certain about his place in the team. Even though I am the captain my place too is not guaranteed," Sardar told PTI in an interview before leaving for a preparatory tour to Europe.
"There is immense competition in the team. There are 3-4 players in every position which is healthy for Indian hockey," he said.
"Sandeep is out of the team for quite a while now. But he is a class act and has shown his prowess in the Hockey India League, where he became the top-scorer for the second consecutive time. But frankly speaking, it would be tough for Sandeep (to seal a berth in World Cup team). He needs to put in more hard work and come with performance in the ongoing national camp to be in contention," Sardar observed.
Citing his own example, Sardar said even though he is currently the captain of the side, his place in the squad is not certain.
"Not only Sandeep it will be tough for every player to make it to the team, including me. At the end of the day it will depend on form and fitness," the ace mid-fielder said.
Gearing up to present a strong challenge at the upcoming event, a 21-member Indian team early this morning left for The Hague to play five build-up games -- including two against World Cup hosts The Netherlands and one against Belgium.
During the tour, India will also play two games against Dutch national clubs at the same turf where World Cup matches will be held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre