Italy replaces Egypt in Olympic hockey qualifiers in India
New Delhi: Italy has replaced Egypt in the men`s London Olympics qualifying hockey tournament, to be held here in February next year.
According to the initial draw released by International Hockey Federation, the first 2012 Olympics qualifying tournament to be held at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here from February 15-26 were to feature India, Canada, France, Poland, Egypt and the United States of America.
But Egypt pulled out of the event earlier this month due to financial problems caused by political strife in the county, thereby paving the way for Italy to play in the event.
According to an intimation sent to Hockey India by FIH, the draw for the women`s qualifying competition, to be held alongside the men`s event, remained unchanged with India, South Africa, Italy, Canada, Ukraine and Poland fighting it out for the lone ticket to London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...