Italy replaces Egypt in Olympic hockey qualifiers in India
New Delhi: Italy has replaced Egypt in the men`s London Olympics qualifying hockey tournament, to be held here in February next year.
According to the initial draw released by International Hockey Federation, the first 2012 Olympics qualifying tournament to be held at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here from February 15-26 were to feature India, Canada, France, Poland, Egypt and the United States of America.
But Egypt pulled out of the event earlier this month due to financial problems caused by political strife in the county, thereby paving the way for Italy to play in the event.
According to an intimation sent to Hockey India by FIH, the draw for the women`s qualifying competition, to be held alongside the men`s event, remained unchanged with India, South Africa, Italy, Canada, Ukraine and Poland fighting it out for the lone ticket to London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you