Japan, Oman emerge victorious in 5-8 place play-off matches
Ipoh (Malaysia): Japan defeated Bangladesh 3-0, while Oman eked out a narrow win over Chinese Taipei via penalty shootout in the classification matches for fifth to eight places of the ninth Asia Cup hockey tournament here on Friday.
In the first classification match of the day, Japan proved to be too good for the Bangladeshis.
Japan scored two goals in the first half through Toshiro Tachibana (9th minute) and captain Koji Kayukawa (26th).
After the change of ends, Japan pumped in another when Tachibana scored his second goal of the day through a field effort in the dying moments of the match.
Meanwhile, in the second classification match of the day between two debutants, Chines Taipei overcame a two goal deficit to hold Oman 2-2 after the regulation 70 minutes.
Oman took the lead through an own goal in the 24th minute. They doubled their lead in the 31st minute through a field goal from Samir Haliyas Juma`an Al Shibli.
The Taipei side made spirited comeback in the last 15 minutes of the match and scored through Liu Ching Kun (57th) and Tseng Hsien-Yi (67th) to take the match into penalty shootout.
But the young Taipei side succumbed under pressure in the shootout and managed to convert just one chance. The Omanese were no better and somehow managed to win, utilising two opportunities in the tie-breaker.
For Oman, Shihan Nahadh Baid Saad and Samir Haliyas Juma`an Al Shibli scored in the shootout.
Oman will now play Japan in the fifth-sixth place play-off match tomorrow, while Bangladesh will lock horns against Chinese Taipei to avoid the wooden spoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery