Japan, Oman emerge victorious in 5-8 place play-off matches
Ipoh (Malaysia): Japan defeated Bangladesh 3-0, while Oman eked out a narrow win over Chinese Taipei via penalty shootout in the classification matches for fifth to eight places of the ninth Asia Cup hockey tournament here on Friday.
In the first classification match of the day, Japan proved to be too good for the Bangladeshis.
Japan scored two goals in the first half through Toshiro Tachibana (9th minute) and captain Koji Kayukawa (26th).
After the change of ends, Japan pumped in another when Tachibana scored his second goal of the day through a field effort in the dying moments of the match.
Meanwhile, in the second classification match of the day between two debutants, Chines Taipei overcame a two goal deficit to hold Oman 2-2 after the regulation 70 minutes.
Oman took the lead through an own goal in the 24th minute. They doubled their lead in the 31st minute through a field goal from Samir Haliyas Juma`an Al Shibli.
The Taipei side made spirited comeback in the last 15 minutes of the match and scored through Liu Ching Kun (57th) and Tseng Hsien-Yi (67th) to take the match into penalty shootout.
But the young Taipei side succumbed under pressure in the shootout and managed to convert just one chance. The Omanese were no better and somehow managed to win, utilising two opportunities in the tie-breaker.
For Oman, Shihan Nahadh Baid Saad and Samir Haliyas Juma`an Al Shibli scored in the shootout.
Oman will now play Japan in the fifth-sixth place play-off match tomorrow, while Bangladesh will lock horns against Chinese Taipei to avoid the wooden spoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!