Jude Felix is new coach of senior men Hockey Team: HI
New Delhi: Former India captain Jude Felix has been appointed as coach of the senior men`s national hockey team and the Olympian will work under Chief Coach Terry Walsh, Hockey India (HI) said today.
Felix will join the training camp of the senior men hockey team tomorrow at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here for preparations of the FIH Men`s World Cup 2014 to be held at The Hague, Netherlands from May 31 to June 15.
He is appointed on a probationary period of three months with the senior men hockey team.
Speaking about the appointment, Felix said: "I am coming with the vast years of my playing and coaching experience at different levels. I am confident that I will be able to make a contribution to players individually and team as a whole.
"Working with two great coaches in Roelant Oltmans and Terry Walsh, I am looking forward to learning from them and passing on the knowledge to as many coaches as possible in India."
Dr Narinder Batra, Secretary General, Hockey India said: "We are pleased to appoint Jude Felix as the Coach of the Senior Men National Hockey Team. The players are very excited about the FIH Men`s World Cup and are practicing rigorously in the preparatory camp.
"The appointment of Jude will help the players to use his vast experience of playing at various international and domestic tournaments and his vast experience will be an added advantage for the preparation of the upcoming world cup.
Felix is an Arjuna Awardee (1995) and was the captain of the Indian Team from 1993-95. He also led Indian team in the 1993 World Cup and in the Asian Games in 1994 at Hiroshima.
Felix has played more than 250 international matches and represented India in two Olympic Games in 1988 (Korea) and 1992 (Barcelona), two World Cups in 1990 (Pakistan) and 1994 (Sydney), two Asian Games in 1990 (Beijing) and 1994 (Hiroshima) and three Champions Trophy in 1985 (Australia), 1987 (Pakistan) and 1989 (Berlin).
He has also worked as player cum coach with Racing Club in Paris (European league and French League) in 1997 -2000. He also worked as the coach of Dutch U-18 National Team in the Leo Van Der Kar in 1997.
Felix has worked as a player cum coach with Singapore Recreation Club from 1995- 1997 and 2001-2011. During this period, he has been awarded as Coach of the year in 2005 and 2007 by the Singapore Sports Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Siddaramaiah goes into damage control mode as discontent grows post Cabinet reshuffle
- Brexit: Premier League Clubs might not have signed these players if Britain wasn't in the EU?
- BJP upset with Subramanian Swamy but will wait and watch before taking action
- Brexit vote adds to uncertainty over global economy, impact won't be seen soon
- Brexit shock triggers race to salvage EU