Kalmadi not sacked from IOA; VK Malhotra to continue as president
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Acting-president of Indian Olympic Association Vijay Kumar Malhotra said on Friday that he would continue with his responsibilities until any further update.
Malhotra, however, indicated that Suresh Kalmadi, who was jailed due to irregularities in the Commonwealth Games organized in national capital in 2010, had not formally resigned from his post yet. But at the same time, he has promised not to exercise his authority.
Malhotra also said that the organization (IOA) did not want any controversy in the build-up to the London 2012 Olympics Games.
Notably, Kalmadi was the chairman of the organizing committee and has been facing alleged charges for corruption for misuse of funds during the Commonwealth Games. He had been sent to jail under the same charges. He was later released on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Uttarakhand forest fire LIVE: 1500 villages under threat, govt issues alert
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3billion India IPO
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises