Kasparov to visit Kenya to promote chess
Nairobi: Russian grandmaster and former World champion Garry Kasparov will visit Kenya on Saturday to promote chess among the youth.
Kenya Chess Association Chairman Githinji Hinga said the 50-year-old Kasparov will attend the National Youth Chess Championship here, reports Xinhua.
"The former orld No.1 will be our guest on Saturday during which he will inspire the youth to play chess, which has also been proved to improve academic performance and decision-making," Hinga said Tuesday.
He said Kasparov will be in Kenya en-route to South Africa where he is heading to open an African branch of his Garry Kasparov Foundation in Johannesburg that will be used as a springboard to spread the game around the continent.
"The chess guru will meet top sports and education officials in Kenya during his visit, with the aim of establishing a branch in the country at a later date as well as to create relationships with Kenyans."
Kasparov has declared his intentions to vie for the presidency of chess` world governing body, FIDE, of which 160 countries are members.
Considered by many to be the greatest chess player of all time, Kasparov became the youngest undisputed World champion in 1985 at the age of 22 by defeating then champion Anatoly Karpov.
His ratings achievements include being continuously ranked World No.1 from 1986 until his retirement in 2005, during which he achieved a peak rating of 2851, the highest score to date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared