Laureus Awards: Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis win top honours
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Rio de Janeiro: Star sprinter Usain Bolt and heptathlete Jessica Ennis were crowned as the Laureus World Sportsman and Sportswoman of the year on Monday.
The Jamaican won the award for the third time for his dominant show at the 2012 London Olympics where he won three gold medals. Ennis of Great Britain took the gold medal in the heptathlon that won her the top award which is also known as Oscar of sports.
"To win another Laureus is a great honour and even more so because I was up against such difficult competitors. I will definitely be there in 2016. I'm going to start my training gradually to not over-exert myself and be as well prepared as possible in 2016. I'm looking forward to it," Bolt said.
Europe’s Ryder Cup winning team was named as the best team following their brilliant victory over the United States at Medinah in September 2012.
US Open champions Britian’s Andy Murray won the breakthrough award for his Olympic gold medal and first Grand Slam title win. Michael Phelps won the award for Exceptional Achievement while Sebastian Coe, the chairman of the Organising Committee of the London Olympic and Paralympic Games was given the lifetime achievement award.
List of awardees
• World Sportsman of the Year: Usain Bolt
• World Sportswoman of the Year: Jessica Ennis
• World Team of the Year: European Ryder Cup Team
• World Breakthrough of the Year: Andy Murray
• World Comeback of the Year: Felix Sanchez
• World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Daniel Dias
• World Action Sportsperson of the Year: Felix Baumgartner
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Sebastian Coe
• Exceptional Achievement Award: Michael Phelps
With inputs from IANS
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez