London Chess Classic: Anand beats Istratescu to lead his group
London: Five times world champion Viswanathan Anand outclassed Andrei Istratescu of France to jump in to sole lead on seven points at the half-way stage of the preliminaries of the London Chess Classic in progress here at the Olympia.
On what turned out to be another fine day as black, Anand came up with some brilliant planning, sacrificed an exchange and romped home without much ado to almost seal a place in the knockout stage of the Classic this year reserved for the top two finishers.
Anand leads his group on seven points in three games under the soccer-like scoring system that gives three points for a win and one for a draw. The Indian ace is now followed by Michael Adams of England on five points after he was held to a draw by compatriot Luke McShane.
McShane on four points is in close proximity of the leaders on four points with three more rounds to come in the double round-robin prelims.
Anand meanwhile will be in the quarters in the 16-player event if he can win just one more game out of remaining three. Giving him a huge advantage are two `whites` remaining in the next three remaining games.
There were no surprises in the third round as most of the higher seeds had a good day. In the `B` group, Vladimir Kramnik kept his lead on seven points after a draw with Matthew Sadler of England while Peter Svidler finally staked his claim for a berth in the quarters at the expense of Jonathan Rowson of England.
Boris Gelfand of Israel kept his lead in the `C` group after settling for a draw with Hikaru Nakamura of United States who remained second in standings while Judit Polgar of Hungary won her first game in the event defeating Gawain Jones of England.
It was a similar story in the `C` group wherein Fabiano Caruana kept his lead on seven points following a draw with English GM David Howeel while former world championship challenger Nigel Short got the better of Emil Sutovsky to remain in contention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation