London medallists conferred doctorate by a UP University
Aligarh: India`s six London Olympics medallists were on Saturday conferred Honorary Doctorate Degree by Mangalayatan University at its Annual Convocation Ceremony.
Badminton ace Saina Nahwal, boxer Mary Kom, shooters Gagan Narang and Vijay Kumar, wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Jogeswar Dutt were honoured with Honoris Causa degrees by Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav at the university`s fourth Annual Convocations.
An elated Saina said that it "was a matter of great pride" for her to be honoured with the doctorate degree.
"My parents had wished that I could take up the medical profession but destiny had planned another career for me. But today I am proud that I was being conferred the doctorate," she said.
Yadav called upon the sportspersons to play a proactive role in the task of nation building by entering "public life".
"Sportspersons create their own charisma and this factor can help them in achieving success in different walks of public life including electoral politics," he said.
He said that his party was "ready" to provide a platform to all sportspersons like Saina for "entering the public domain".
Recalling his early years as a budding wrestler, Yadav said that he understood the importance of "sportsman spirit" and convinced him of the importance of the sporting activities in the field of character and personality building.
Among those who were also awarded Honoris Causa degrees were Dr Rajendra Pachori, Director General, Energy and Resources` Institute and V K Saraswat, Scientific Advisor in the Ministry of Defence, Salma Ansari, Chairperson, Al-Noor Social and Charitable Society in the field of social work and Dr (Mrs) Tessy Thomas, Senior Defence Scientist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months