Madan Lal wins bronze in Benazir Bhutto boxing
New Delhi: India`s Madan Lal settled for a bronze medal in the 2nd Shaheed Benazir Bhutto International Boxing Tournament in Islamabad going down 12:19 to Pakistan`s Mohammad Waseem in the semi-finals of the 52kg category Thursday.
Lal, the lone Indian to have made it to the semis, advanced to the penultimate round with an impressive victory over the 2010 Commonwealth Bronze medallist Haroon Khan of Pakistan, the younger brother of WBA and IBF World Light Welterweight Champion Amir Khan.
In the semi-finals, he came up short against Waseem.
Waseem, also a bronze medal winner at the 2010 Commonwealth games in the light fly weight division, took a crucial lead of six points in the first round, catching the Indian off guard.
Lal did his best to come back in the second and third, but the Pakistani boxer held on to the advantage.
"It was a very tough match compared to the earlier one. He (Waseem) took a sizable lead in the first round. I tried hard to get back in the game but could not penetrate his defence repeatedly and in the end I lost," the Indian Boxing Federation quoted him as saying.
Lal admitted that the tournament had been a great learning curve for him.
"My performance here has motivated me to do better."
Earlier, Indian heavyweight boxers Parminder Singh (81kg) and Narender (91kg) also lost their quarter-final bouts.
Parminder could not match the powerful punching of Iranian Majid Hajabbasi and suffered a knockout defeat in the second round.
But it was a fight to the finish when Narender took on Nadir Khan of Pakistan. There was not much separating the two boxers during the nine minutes of the bout.
In the end, Narender lost to the Pakistani by one point (8:7).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India