Malaysia`s unbeaten run continues, hold Pakistan 2-2
Ipoh (Malaysia): Giant-killers Malaysia held Pakistan to a 2-2 draw to continue its unbeaten run in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament here today.
The draw means Pakistan are out of the final race along with India and Korea. Both Korea and Pakistan have four points from as many matches, while India could manage only three from four outings.
Both hosts Malaysia and Australia are atop the leader-board with eight points each from from four matches. New Zealand, with six points from four outings, is the only other team in the race for a place in Sunday`s summit clash.
To seal their final berth, New Zealand need to beat Australia in the Trans-Trasman clash on Saturday.
For both Australia and Malaysia, a draw in their final round-robin games will be enough to seal their place in the final. The hosts will be up against India in the final match on Saturday.
Against Pakistan today, Malaysia surged ahead in the sixth minute of the game, courtesy a penalty corner conversion by Saari Faizal from the first of the 11th short corners they earned in the game.
Pakistan equalised through captain Imran Muhammad, who converted his team`s third penalty corner in the 15th minute.
But Malaysia again restored their lead through Rahim Muhammad Raize, who converted their eight penalty corner in the 53th minute.
Trailing by a goal, Pakistan raised their game and equalised in the nine minutes later 63rd time through a beautiful field goal by Shan Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP