Malaysia`s unbeaten run continues, hold Pakistan 2-2
Ipoh (Malaysia): Giant-killers Malaysia held Pakistan to a 2-2 draw to continue its unbeaten run in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament here today.
The draw means Pakistan are out of the final race along with India and Korea. Both Korea and Pakistan have four points from as many matches, while India could manage only three from four outings.
Both hosts Malaysia and Australia are atop the leader-board with eight points each from from four matches. New Zealand, with six points from four outings, is the only other team in the race for a place in Sunday`s summit clash.
To seal their final berth, New Zealand need to beat Australia in the Trans-Trasman clash on Saturday.
For both Australia and Malaysia, a draw in their final round-robin games will be enough to seal their place in the final. The hosts will be up against India in the final match on Saturday.
Against Pakistan today, Malaysia surged ahead in the sixth minute of the game, courtesy a penalty corner conversion by Saari Faizal from the first of the 11th short corners they earned in the game.
Pakistan equalised through captain Imran Muhammad, who converted his team`s third penalty corner in the 15th minute.
But Malaysia again restored their lead through Rahim Muhammad Raize, who converted their eight penalty corner in the 53th minute.
Trailing by a goal, Pakistan raised their game and equalised in the nine minutes later 63rd time through a beautiful field goal by Shan Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read