Mary wants solution to IOA suspension
Kolkata: Deeply upset with the IOC`s suspension of the Indian Olympic Association, London Games bronze medalist MC Mary Kom today appealed to the top bosses to find a way out to save sportpersons careers.
"We would be grateful if the higher authorties find a solution as soon as possible. I don`t want to suffer. We want to play with free mind to get more medals," the five-time world World Boxing champion said here today.
"I am not a politician, I am a sportsperson. But we all are very upset. We can`t continue our career. If we can`t fight in the international meets, then what`s the use to be a player?
"With this (impasse), our training suffers. My boxing federation supports me but I don`t know what is going on. So I am focussing only on training and competition, giving our best to earn medals for the country. If they remove ban, we would be really grateful," the 29-year-old mother of twins added.
The diminutive boxer, who won the bronze in 51kg category, said she does not have any competition right now.
"But in 2013, there is Asian Championship in May and some small meets for the youngsters."
New to the 51kg weight category, Mary hoped her pet category of 48kg is introduced in the next Olympics Rio.
"I will have to discuss with the coaches. I hope 48kg is introduced in Rio 2016. Then I`ll try to give gold."
Asked about being made one the national icons of the Election Commission, the Manipuri Olympian said: "It`s really a big honour. In politics, we want good person, good support."
Asked on the fate of the upcoming MC Mary Kom Boxing Academy, she said, "I am hoping for something positive this Christmas, if it is successful then a lot of young talents will get to train in the academy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof