Mary wants solution to IOA suspension
Kolkata: Deeply upset with the IOC`s suspension of the Indian Olympic Association, London Games bronze medalist MC Mary Kom today appealed to the top bosses to find a way out to save sportpersons careers.
"We would be grateful if the higher authorties find a solution as soon as possible. I don`t want to suffer. We want to play with free mind to get more medals," the five-time world World Boxing champion said here today.
"I am not a politician, I am a sportsperson. But we all are very upset. We can`t continue our career. If we can`t fight in the international meets, then what`s the use to be a player?
"With this (impasse), our training suffers. My boxing federation supports me but I don`t know what is going on. So I am focussing only on training and competition, giving our best to earn medals for the country. If they remove ban, we would be really grateful," the 29-year-old mother of twins added.
The diminutive boxer, who won the bronze in 51kg category, said she does not have any competition right now.
"But in 2013, there is Asian Championship in May and some small meets for the youngsters."
New to the 51kg weight category, Mary hoped her pet category of 48kg is introduced in the next Olympics Rio.
"I will have to discuss with the coaches. I hope 48kg is introduced in Rio 2016. Then I`ll try to give gold."
Asked about being made one the national icons of the Election Commission, the Manipuri Olympian said: "It`s really a big honour. In politics, we want good person, good support."
Asked on the fate of the upcoming MC Mary Kom Boxing Academy, she said, "I am hoping for something positive this Christmas, if it is successful then a lot of young talents will get to train in the academy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- JNU student arrested for raping foreign national at hostel after getting her drunk
- Shilpa Shetty's son Viaan celebrates birthday with Bollywood star kids—See who all came!
- Trouble deepens for P Chidambaram's son; ED likely to question him soon
- Thailand dormitory fire kills 17 schoolgirls
- Will not spare my own children if they are involved in illegalities: Arvind Kejriwal in Goa