Mumbai Fighters sign up two new boxers
Mumbai: The Indian franchise in the World Series of Boxing -- the Mumbai Fighters -- have signed up Ukraine`s Sergii Melnik in the light heavyweight category and Moldovan Mihail Muntean in the heavyweight division.
"As the World Series of Boxing second season enters a crucial second phase, Venky`s Mumbai Fighters have spruced up their squad with two new additions. The Indian outfit has signed Ukraine`s Sergii Melnik in the light heavyweight category and Mihail Muntean in heavyweight," the Mumbai Fighters said in a statement.
Hailing from Moldova, Muntean will strengthen the Indian outfit as he comes with a full season of WSB experience in his kitty.
The 31-year old fought for Pohang Poseidons last season with an impressive 3-3 record. The heavyweight pugilist will hit the ring when Fighters take on Milano Thunder in Milan on Friday.
Melnik, 24, is Ukraine`s number two boxer, only behind world number one Oleksandr Usyk. Melnik comes from the Ukrainian army.
The Fighters are currently fifth in Group A with seven points in their kitty. Dynamo Moscow, whom the Fighters host in their round seven match on January 20, also have seven points but have more wins compared to the Indian team.
To make the cut for the next stage, Fighters need to earn eight more points, which means they will have to win the home matches against Moscow and fellow debutants Bangkok Elephants on February 3 and garner a point each in away matches at Milan, Los Angeles and Astana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened