National ice skating competition off to flying start
Shimla: The National ice skating competition got off to a flying start at the Asia`s oldest natural ice skating rink here on Friday.
Uncertainty hovered over holding the mega event due to inclement weather but the organisers started the competition today morning after the local MeT office dry weather for the next four days.
Besides hosts Himachal Pradesh, about 200 skaters from Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Naidu, Utter Pradesh, Uttrakhand, West Bengal and Delhi, and four girls from foreign countries will also be?competing in novice, junior, sub junior and senior categories in men and women sections.
"The Shimla Ice Skating Club is holding the event for the fourth year in a row and the number of participant has increased, which was good sign," said Bhuvnesh Banga, Secretary of the Club.
"Shreya (15) from United States, who has come to India to pay a visit to her grandparents living in Kolkata said that she could not resist the temptation of participating in the event and is competing in junior girls category," he added.
The Ice Skating season is squeezing due to rise in temperature and so far 25 sessions have been held during the current winters against 111 sessions in 1997, which was a record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi