No Sushil, Yogeshwar for freestyle Wrestling World Cup
New Delhi: Olympic medallist grapplers Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt will not be a part of the next month`s Freestyle Wrestling World Cup as the two have been given further rest by the federation from national duties.
Sushil and Yogeshwar haven`t taken the mat since their medal winning feat at London Olympics in 2012 and now the two celebrated wrestlers are eyeing return at the Commonwealth Games in July this year.
"The federation (WFI) has shortlisted important tournaments for senior wrestlers. The federation wants to give other wrestlers a chance. We have been asked to focus on our training keeping the Commonwealth Games in mind," Sushil told PTI.
World Championship silver medallist Amit Kumar Dahiya will lead the Indian contingent to its maiden World Cup in Los Angeles, USA from March 15-16.
WFI general secretary Raj Singh said both Sushil and Yogeshwar have been asked to concentrate on their training.
"We have asked Sushil and Yogeshwar to prepare for the Commonwealth Games. We have a strong team and hopefully they will do us proud in our first appearance," said Singh.
Other wrestlers shortlisted after the trials at SAI Centre, Sonepat today include Bajrang, the world championship bronze medallist, in the 61kg category.
57kg- Amit Kumar, 61kg- Bajrang, 65kg- Rajneesh, 70kg- Amit Kumar Dhankar, 74kg- Parveen Rana, 86kg- Parveen Kumar, 97kg- Satyawart and 125kg- Krishan Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?