Nobbs is responsible for London debacle: Shivendra
Gwalior: Indian hockey team`s centre forward Shivendra Singh on Friday dropped a bombshell stating that coach Michael Nobbs` wrong strategy of over-attacking which was responsible for team`s last-place finish at the London Olympics.
"The team`s coach Michael Nobbs was responsible for the humiliating defeat in London as he made us change the strategy," Shivendra told reporters after a function organised by a private school in his honour.
"The coach was unable to establish any co-ordination with the team members which resulted in the defeat," he said.
"As the coach asked us to play in an attacking manner, our defence got weakened and we faced defeat after defeat," Shivendra stated.
When asked whether the coach should be replaced, he said that such decisions are taken by management and an individual player has no say in it.
He, however, admitted that players were also responsible for the defeat and had apologised to the nation for it.
The Indian team had finished last in the Olympics, its worst-ever performance.
Nobbs was appointed as coach of the Indian team in June 2011 and his contract ends after 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. He was member of the Australian hockey team at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi's remarks irk Opposition which forces brief adjournment in Rajya Sabha
- Zee Entertainment launches Zee.One in Germany
- No talks about starring with Kangana in Ritesh's next: Irrfan Khan
- Dalits refuse to dispose of dead cattle, demand protection in Gujarat
- Silsila was trashed by media at time of release: Amitabh Bachchan