NRAI justifies Heena`s selection over Rathore
New Delhi: The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) today sought to justify its decision to select Heena Sidhu ahead of Athens Olympics silver medallist Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore in the 11-member squad for the London Olympics.
"We will do not deny merit... merit has to be the sole criteria in a measurable sport. Heena has been consistent and yesterday she shot 385 (at practice) which, in our opinion, is an Olympic final score," NRAI president Raninder Singh told reporters.
One of the criteria for selection is consistency of performance at A-level tournaments, besides international rankings, which favours the youngster from Patiala.
"Heena is ranked 17th in international ranking out of 193, while Rathore is 47th and three Indians are ahead of him," Raninder said.
"Heena has been undertaking some mental and technical training at her own level as she knew her chances (of earning berth) were bright," he added.
Raninder said that Rathore`s final score did not the "inspire" the selectors enough to give him a ticket to London.
"Rathore`s final score of 128 didn`t inspire confidence in the selectors. The bias must be dispelled. We have been as transparent as humanely possible.
"In Rathore`s case we do not think, in any way, this is the end of his career. It is time for him to take stock and go further. The selection is not an in-house procedure done by the NRAI. We requested two government observers," Raninder clarified.
Asked why trap shooter Mansher Singh was still provided funds under NSDF (National Skill Development Fund) despite missing out on an Olympic berth, Raninder said, "Mansher has been receiving funds under NSDF. It is a policy to support our international shooters. He has been consistent, missing the quota by just 1 point."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams