Olympic champ reprimanded for breaking rules
Beijing: China`s star swimmer and Olympic champion Sun Yang has been "punished for breaking a series of team rules".
The Zhejiang College of Sports, to which the dual Olympic champion is affiliated, accused Sun of "indiscipline" in a statement issued on Monday.
The college also withheld a month of his allowance and "provincially suspended" him from all commercial activities.
The 10-year-long relationship between Sun and his coach Zhu Zhigen turned sour after the swimmer reportedly asked for a new coach.
The 56-year-old coach disapproved Sun`s love affair and he believed too many commercial activities had taken a toll on Sun`s training.
Sun has been out of systematic training for over 40 days. A scheduled training programme in Australia after the Chinese Spring Festival will have to be cancelled or delayed, and this upset the coach.
"This place is for good athletes, not for the athletes with privilege," said Li Jianshe, the college dean.
"Although Sun Yang has realised what was wrong with him and he promised to put it right, we have to punish him as everyone is equal when it comes to rules.
"Zhu has been coaching Sun Yang for 10 years and I don`t think their bond is so fragile," said Li.
Sun is one of the most famed stars in China after winning two gold medals at the London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!