Olympic torch to go on spacewalk for first time as part of Sochi 2014 relay
London: The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics torch will be sent to the International Space Station on board a Russian spacecraft this week.
According to Metro.co.uk, astronauts will then carry it outside the station, as the torch will go on a spacewalk for the first time.
The mission is due to set off from the Russian-operated Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan early on Thursday morning but for safety reasons the torch will not burn when on board the space shuttle, the report said.
The Olympic torch has flown into space before, in 1996 aboard the US space shuttle Atlantis ahead of the Atlanta summer Games but has never been taken outside a spacecraft, the report added.
The four-month-long Sochi torch relay started in Moscow on October 7 and is the longest in Olympic history, the report further said.
Plane, train, car and reindeer, as well as its excursion will carry the torch by space shuttle, on its 65,000-kilometre route around Russia, according to the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'