Oscar Pistorius has signs of narcissistic disorder
Pretoria: Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius, who allegedly murdered his girlfriend model Reeva Steenkamp, has shown signs of having narcissistic personality disorder, experts say.
The Star reported that Pistorious`s interest in guns also indicates his aggressive tendencies.
Criminologist Anna van der Hoven said that a combination of factors could have resulted in the violent crime.
Van Der Hoven feels that something must have triggered Pistorius to shoot Steenkamp. The 26-year-old Pistorious has shown signs of violence in the past.
"Abusive men suffer from pathological jealousy of their partners," said Van der Hoven. "I haven`t diagnosed him but he also shows signs of someone with a narcissistic personality disorder.
"These kinds of individuals have a grandiose sense of self-importance… However, their self-esteem is very fragile and when this is threatened, they can become violent," she said. "They don`t know how to show sympathy for other people."
Quoting Gareth Newham, head of crime and justice programme at the Institute of Security Studies, the daily revealed that according to statistics, 80 percent of victims of murder were known to their perpetrators.
"Twenty percent of the perpetrators are direct relatives," Newham was quoted as saying by the daily.
Though murder rates in South Africa have fallen by 54 percent since 1994, it is still higher than the global average.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh