Oscar Pistorius issues statement; rejects murder charge in `strongest terms`
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Pretoria, South Africa: In a statement issued by South African Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius' agent, the Paralympian said that he disputed the charge in the "strongest terms".
"Firstly, and most importantly, all our thoughts today must be with the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp," the statement said.
"Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court here in Pretoria this morning formally charged with the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms," the statement added.
Oscar Pistorius broke into tears in court on Friday as his defence against charges of "premeditated murder" began at the Pretoria Magistrates` Court. He allegedly shot his girlfriend in the early hours on Thursday morning.
Magistrate Desmond Nair agreed to allow Oscar Pistorius to be held at a police station in Brooklyn, Pretoria, instead of being put in a local prison. He also agreed to shift the bail hearing to Tuesday, when the court will reconvene.
The charge against the Paralympic hero is of "premeditated murder" as the prosecution does not believe it was an accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed