P T Usha, Gopichand in IOA`s new Advisory panel
New Delhi: The newly-elected executive council of the Indian Olympic Association today constituted a three-member advisory panel to guide the office bearers on the problems faced by the athletes, besides forming a nine-member Athletes Commission to oversee the needs of the players.
The three-member advisory panel includes P T Usha, P Gopichand and Dilip Tirkey.
The General body also discussed the International Olympic Council`s statement that the elections were null and void and wished to clarify that the polls took place with a well laid-out procedure.
"The elections were conducted under the guidance of a three-member Election Commission comprising Retired Chief Justice Anil Dev Singh, Justice V K Bali and Justice J D Kappor and even the Union Government had sent its observer Joy Sebastian to oversee the election process," the IOA said in a statement.
"Even the members of the media were present at the venue in large numbers and it only proves that the election were held in free and fair manner and also with the approval of all the stakeholders party to the Indian Olympic Association in India," it added.
Abhay Singh Chautala yesterday took over as the President of the IOA while the tainted Lalit Bhanot became the secretary general after the sports body conducted its controversial elections defying the IOC`s directive not to go ahead with the polls. Chautala and Bhanot were declared elected unopposed.
Chairman: Gurbachan Singh Randhawa ? Athletics
Members: Wilson Cherian - Swimming
K Malleswari- Weighlifting
Manjit Dua- Table Tennis
Jatinder Singh- Boxing
Aparna Popat- Badminton
Anuj Kumar- Wrestling
Lawn tennis and Archery will nominate their members soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown