Pakistan`s CWG participation in limbo
Karachi: Pakistan could miss out on competing in next year`s Commonwealth Games as it has failed to send entries due to an ongoing tussle between the International Olympic Committee-recognised Pakistan Olympic Association and the state-controlled Pakistan Sports Board.
The PSB does not recognise the POA led by Arif Hasan and recently encouraged and supported the elections of a parallel Pakistan Olympic Association body and also released Rs 80 million for the organisation of National Games in Islamabad.
The PSB and its supported organisation, led by Akram Sahi, are not recognised by the IOC.
In all this the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) is now paying the price for siding with the parallel POA as the invitation by the CWG organisers to send a contingent including the hockey team for the games has been sent to the Hasan-led POA.
"We don`t want to see Pakistan hockey team not playing in the Commonwealth games which is a major event. We have forwarded the invitation to the PHF and sent them reminders to confirm their participation with a Letter of Intent to be sent to the organisers of the CWG. But they have not responded as yet and the deadline already extended by the CWG for us expires on Monday," Hasan told PTI.
"It would be sad if our hockey team can`t play in the CWG but people out to hurt Pakistan sports must remember they can ride roughshod over us in Pakistan but internationally they have no recognition or standing," he said.
PHF secretary Asif Bajwa said that he had written letters to the PSB and the POA led by Sahi to resolve the issue with the CWG organisers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in